Dr Val O’Reilly
Val views career as a life story that unfolds in remarkable ways. She enjoys engaging with others on their journey to make meaning of their career story, resolve indecision, and effect positive change in their lives. Developing a career is a complex process of managing life, learning, and work. Designing a career need not be a solo project. As a career professional Val is trained and qualified to support organisations in their career service delivery and to help individuals explore and design who they want to become.
- Programme and project design, development, leadership and delivery
- Workshop design, development, leadership and delivery: NZ and internationally
- Resource design, development and delivery
- Reviewing and leading change in organisational policies and procedures
- Development of professional standards and competencies
- Research, writing and reviewing across a range of contexts and media
- Conference presenting: NZ and internationally
- Career counselling, career coaching, supervision and mentoring
- Past President of CDANZ, a leading NZ professional career development association
- Co-founder and past co-leader of CDANZ Professionalism Project
- FMCDANZ, Honorary Member CDAA, Member CATE
- Member of the careers sector Maori and Pasifika Practitioner Network
- Member of the institutional advisory board for NZ career development course delivery
O’Reilly, Valerie Nina (2018). Professional standards and professional identity: perspectives of career development practitioners in Australia and New Zealand. PhD Thesis, School of Education, The University of Queensland.https://doi.org/10.14264/uql.2018.659
O’Reilly, V. (2018). The professional identity of school career practitioners. Paper presented at October CDANZ Symposium, Wellington, NZ.
O’Reilly, V. (2017). New Zealand Country Paper. Paper presented at 2017 International Centre for Career Development and Public Policy (ICCDPP) Symposium, Seoul, Korea. http://iccdpp2017.org/download/Country_paper_New_Zealand_ENG.pdf
O’Reilly, V.N. (2015). Life-Story for life design: A career development activity for refugee students. In M. McMahon & W. Patton (Eds.), Ideas for Career Practitioners. (2nd edition pp. 220-223). Australia: Australian Academic Press.
Thomas, J., and O’Reilly, V. (2015). New Zealand Country Paper. Paper presented at 2015 International Centre for Career Development and Public Policy (ICCDPP) Symposium, Des Moines, US.
O’Reilly, V. (2011). The role of school websites in career development practice. International Journal for Educational and Vocational Guidance, 11(3), 175-185. doi: 10.1007/s10775-011-9207-2
O’Reilly, V. (2011). The role of school websites in career development practice. Paper presented at April CDAA Career Development Conference, Cairns, Australia.
- PhD in career development
- Certified Self-Directed Search (SDS). Certifying authority NZCER
- Certified Occupational Testing. Certifying authority SHL
- Certificate of Proficiency, Educational Research. AUT University, NZ
- Master of Career Development. AUT University, NZ
- Diploma of Teaching. Dunedin Teacher’s College, NZ
- Bachelor of Arts. University of Otago, NZ
- Recipient 2018 Auckland Careers and Transition Education CATE Conference Scholarship